Friday, August 19, 2005

Feedback "brain drain" Africa

I have received some kind emails regarding my "Brain drain" Africa article. Thank you all. However, I would like to post one of my feedback emails to level out the obvious bias in my submission.
One respondent that wrote:
"Thanks curious for your email. I like the article, though I think we have
apportioned too much blame on the west. Africa and its nations need to start
getting their act together and creating a conducive environment for our economic and social development. The western powers and China didn't have any to cry foul about or depend on- and they made it. My thought? Only we can save ourselves. How is the million-dollar question. But for sure, brain drain isn't helping us."
Thank you for your feedback. My response was:
"Thank you for your email. I am indeed a bit heavy on the west but for a very legitimate reason - interference. This word encapsulates all that is key/vital to African development. Indeed, the Africans have a lot of work to do (with all the natural wealth, land and labour resources), but beyond that, they need freedom to find their way through the forest (as it were).

The west had that freedom and that's why, after a few well-known recessions and catastrophically poor financial market decisions, western economies are now better refined. China also had its freedom. But the interesting thing is that the west tried to interfere but to no avail. China ignored the west until it was good and ready, however, in the meantime, the west was labelling it communist, etc, finding all sorts of reasons to ostracise it (with its large population). Today China is a force to reckon with and that is not thanks to the west; their success is all internal. Well done to the Chinese for that achievement. Can Africa do the same? Unlike China, Africa is a continent.

To conclude, and to lessen the obvious bias in my article, I will say that the west is a source of economic inspiration to Africa. The west is the forerunner and Africans will do well to learn from the West. My article is weighted against the west to merely reflect the "strategic" interference that renders most other background activity in Africa as just "noise"; the eventual outcomes having already been predetermined.
As a worst case scenario (leaning towards free trade), I would like the markets for Africa to be uncertain (as efficient markets are), purely determined by supply and demand, not pre-biased against Africa from the onset and in broad daylight.

Nevertheless, my views are never set in stone and can change if I'm convinced otherwise.

Thank you,

Curious"
Thanks again to all those that responded to my article. Reality is fluid

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home